What is General Surgery?
General surgery is actually a surgical speciality where the surgeons are accountable for patient care before, during, and after surgery. It focuses on performing surgeries in the abdominal contents that include the oesophagus, stomach, bowel, colon, pancreas, gallbladder, liver, bile ducts, and appendix.
Others include treating the skin soft tissue, trauma, breast, peripheral vascular surgery, hernias and thyroid gland to perform endoscopic procedures such as colonoscopy and gastroscopy. Speciality services include Plastic surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Urology, Neuro Surgery.
We at Shen Hospitals have a well-established department of surgery that focuses on keyhole surgeries with minimally invasive surgical techniques with a team of surgical experts. Usually, the procedures include minimizing scars, decreasing pain and enabling the patients to recover faster.
As one of the most comprehensive general surgery practices, this department is equipped with round the clock laboratory, ICU, radiology, and emergency services to ensure that the patients receive the highest level of care in a timely and friendly manner by the highly skilled surgeons with expert knowledge in providing treatments with state-of-the-art facilities.
Why Shen Hospitals?
The surgical teams at Shen hospital treat several thousands of patients every year with a multidisciplinary approach. The skill and technology available at Shen give patients the best treatment options to choose from. The department of general surgery consists of specialists like radiologists, anesthesiologists, cardiologists etc. to provide comprehensive surgical care.
General Surgery Treatments and Procedures
- Appendectomy (removal of the appendix)
- Bariatric surgery
- Breast surgery both benign and malignant for any tumours
- Caesarean section
- Coronary artery graft bypass surgery
- Carotid endarterectomy (removing blockages from arteries)
- Endocrine surgery for thyroid and its glands
- Excision of lipoma, lymph node biopsy and sebaceous cyst
- Emergency laparotomy for intestinal obstruction, appendicitis, perforation, and strangulated hernia
- Gastrointestinal surgery Minimally invasive surgery
- Hysterectomy (removal of uterus)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic appendectomy
- Laparoscopic hernia repair
- Laparoscopic colectomy and splenectomy Minor vascular procedures
- Minor surgical procedures that include carbuncles, abscess drainage, hydrocele, hernia, soft tissue tumours, circumcision, varicocele, vasectomy, etc.
- Performing surgical procedures in the case of emergencies
- Skin grafting
- Surgery for varicose veins
- Surgery for fistulas, fissures, and haemorrhoids
- Treatment for trauma
- Treatment of accidents including intercostal drainage
- Tonsillectomy (removal of tonsils)
- Both in-patient and outpatient services,
- Emergency services,
- Minor O.T and Major O.T procedures.
- Upper GI Endoscopy, Lower GI Endoscopy,
- Endoscopy Re-view clinics, diabetic foot clinic and proctology clinic
- Inpatient services
- Outpatient service
- Proctology clinic
- Diabetic foot clinic
- Endoscopy clinic with re-view
- Daycare services
Health check-ups/ Health Packages
- Surgical Health check-ups are done for the outpatients. Health packages are also there for the procedures like Laparoscopic surgeries and Onco surgeries.
- Periodic Health Camps are conducted within the hospital premises for Health check-ups