Shens Hospitals is one of the best Medical and Surgical Oncology hospitals in Chennai. We provide comprehensive care for our patients who are newly diagnosed or diseased with endocrine tumours of the parathyroid, thyroid, neuroendocrine, and adrenal tumours.
Our internationally recognized experts work delicately as multidisciplinary teams to treat patients with the goal of providing a rapid, and accurate diagnosis and customized treatments. We provide the utmost care for the best possible outcomes, which includes access to the latest diagnostic treatments, technologies, and innovative clinical trials.
Our team comprises:
- Surgical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Medical oncologists
- Diagnostic and interventional radiologists
- Transplant surgeons
- Palliative care physicians
- Patient care advocate
- Nursing personnel
Medical and Surgical Oncology
In addition to surgeries and radiotherapies medicines, medical oncology plays an integral part in multidisciplinary care, especially for cancer patients.
They play a significant role in either curing or controlling the disease. The below mentioned standard guidelines are followed by the specialists of Medical and Surgical Oncology hospitals in Chennai in treating cancer patients
- With our experienced oncologists, our Medical Oncology department provides expert, curative, preventive, and palliative care for the patients diagnosed with cancer.
- Diagnostic treatments for adults and paediatric in performing treatments for solid tumours.
- The latest drugs are used for oncological procedures like chemotherapy, biologic therapy, hormonal therapy, immunotherapy, and molecular targeted therapy and.
- Modes of administration constitute intravenous, intramuscular, intra-thecal, intra-peritoneal and subcutaneous chemotherapy.
- Day-care chemotherapy is provided as per the patients’ convenience in the Medical and Surgical Oncology hospitals in Chennai.
- A separate Paediatric Oncology ward is available for children affected with cancer.
- Specialised care to treat the neutropenic patients with utmost care.
- Therapeutic procedures are followed including intravesical chemotherapy, intravesical immunotherapy, intraperitoneal chemotherapy, and pleural and ascitic fluid drainage.
- Well experienced in using central lines, peripheral lines and chemo ports.
Advanced Medical Oncology Treatments
Chemotherapy treatment highly uses drugs to kill fast-growing cancer cells. It is designed to serve multiple functions and, prevents the cancer cells from returning, by stopping it from spreading, and/or delay their growth. It may also shrink large tumours, relieve pain and ease other cancer-related symptoms.
Interventional oncology focuses on precise and less invasive procedures than t surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. The goal of interventional oncology is to make use of imaging techniques and minimally invasive procedures to deliver cancer treatments precisely to tumours and also minimize side effects and harm to healthy tissue.
Targeted drug therapy
Targeted drug therapy or precision oncology is an individualized approach to treat cancer. Personalized drugs and therapies based on genetic tests help to analyse your genes or behaviours in cancer cells. There is a distinct set of mutation and proteins in every tumour where precision oncology analyses these patterns for designing a treatment plan accordingly.
Radiation therapy employs high-dose energy rays for destroying the cancer cells. It may be used independently or along with other treatment options. It can help shrink the size of a tumour and reduce symptoms which are associated with advanced cancers. It is delivered in three main ways:
- External beam radiation which sends radiation toward the tumour via a machine.
- Internal radiation involves a radiation source that is being placed inside your body, either near or inside the cancer.
- Systemic radiation therapy delivers radioactive drugs which can be either orally or through an injection.
The surgical Oncology Department includes a team of qualified and experienced Surgical Oncologists for treating and managing cancer patients. Advanced services are carried out by trained and skilled anesthesiologists and post-operative nurses.
The department of Medical and Surgical Oncology hospitals in Chennai offers surgical procedures with the least morbidities.
Some include the following:
- Subtotal esophagectomy with dissection in two fields.
- Sphincter preserving rectal cancer surgery or low or Ultra low anterior resection
- To avoid lymphedema, swelling of upper limbs, breast conservation surgery is performed with sentinel node biopsy.
- Minimal invasive procedures are adopted for Colo-rectal and uterine cancer.
- Laryngo tracheal resections and Laryngectomy.
- Major oral resections and reconstructions are performed with microvascular flap.
- Major thyroid surgeries performed with tracheal reconstruction.
- Genito urinary surgeries such as radical / partial nephrectomy is performed for kidney cancer and radical cystectomy with neo bladder reconstruction is performed for urinary bladder cancer.
- Limb salvage surgeries are performed for soft tissue and bone sarcomas.
- Penile cancer surgery is performed with sentinel node dissection, especially for Inguinal Nodes.
- Staging laparotomy is performed to treat cancer in the uterus or endometrium and ovaries.
- Wertheim’s hysterectomy is performed for carcinoma cervix.
Advanced Surgical Oncology Treatments
Our team here offers advanced surgical procedures to treat cancer, which mainly includes the minimally invasive and HIPEC.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Minimally invasive and laparoscopic surgery are used to treat many types of cancer, including oesophageal, stomach, colon, small bowel, pancreatic, gallbladder and liver cancer. The precise instruments used by us provide 3D visualization and navigation to remove cancer cells without damaging the nearby tissues. Also, it often results in a faster recovery.
Innovative Chemotherapy Treatment
Certain cancers are treated by our experts in the Medical and Surgical Oncology hospitals in Chennai with a combination of surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC). It is also termed as ‘hot chemotherapy’. Once the existing tumours are removed, the heated chemotherapy sinks deeply into the cancer cells, and simultaneously increases the absorption and effectiveness of the medicine.
The Medical and Surgical Oncology hospitals in Chennai also perform complex surgeries that affect:
- Biliary tract
- Endocrine organs (thyroid gland, parathyroid glands and adrenals)
- Gastrointestinal tract (stomach and intestines)
- Skin or melanoma
- Soft tissues or sarcoma, etc.
With our combined expertise, the Medical and Surgical Oncology hospitals in Chennai create a personalized and extensive approach to meet our patients’ needs.
Read Also Medical Oncologist in Chennai.